Saturday 16 November 2013

Start your cardmaking with a sentiment

Mmmm this was an interesting thought to me, as I have always started by choosing a topper and matching in the backgrounds and mats and layers.  Adding the sentiment at the end with embellishments.

So I thought I would try this method that I read of in a cardmaking magazine.

So my new grandson is due to be born and he is five days late already, but I began to think of what should I write in the sentiment

congratulations on your new baby
congratulations on  your new baby luke
welcome to baby luke
welcome to my new grandson

and i finally decided on welcome to our new baby grandson, Luke, as this incorporated to me that it was a grandson a position within the family,his name Luke, but I like the word OUR to imply some pride or some ownership as grandparents etc.

So then having decided on the sentiment I thought about a sketch for the card. I decided on 6 x  6 in square my favourite shape and size, not too big, not too small and pleasing to the eye.  Then my first mat of navy blue mirriboard of 5.5 in sq.
Then my next matt is of 5.0 in square in white, with three colour blocks of 1.66 x 4.98 horizontally pieced together and glued onto the white card.

One of tiny patter feet, one of love hearts, one of baby bottles, with each join being sealed by a glue pen and navy glitter.

The topper then 4.5 x 4.5 matted thinly on pale blue card, comprising of a printed out image and printed out message.

I thought and thought, and wondered what image,and what could I do to be different and yet pass on a message.

So I thought from the tiny acorn the mighty oak doth grow, and printed off this, I shaded below the acorn to ground the image, and faux stitched in navy around the topper to frame image.

I then cut out some images of oak leaves and attached to left corner lower of card.  Eventually I matted the printed off sentiment on navy mirriboard and placed at top left corner of card overlapping mats and layers.

Inside I wrote a small verse saying along the lines, with love and kindness your heart will grow brave and strong

I was pleased with this card as it conveyed a differnet message,  not its a girl or its a boy - that sentiment does have its place - but as grandma i hope to love him and have an input to his life to help him grow to a fine young man

the colour blocks added the small baby images and the lovehearts



i like the baby cards with clothes hanging on pegs, etc, and bunting, and shaped bottle cards, but with the feelings that I was concentrating on this came to mind, rightly or wrongly it reflected his grandmas wishes and sentiments


So personally it was a novel way to start from, but it worked for me, chose a sentiment, thought about what i wanted to convey, sketched a card, chose colours and images all the time thinking about eg pitter patter of tiny baby feet, the eternal bottle, and eternal love hearts, then made it mine with the acorn and the message, not traditional but personal


have a go, what is your message or sentiment, feel it in your heart, write down the words you feel for that special person, and see where it leads you

i often use a card sketch of my own or borrowed, but u dont need to

i love trying easel cards, waterfall cards, gatefold cards, cross over cards, etc, there is so much to chose from

if my grandson was about five I perhaps would do a waterfall cards of his different faces or his toys, as kinetic cards would appeal to this age group, even a good popup card would be good


however, try it  I shall put the photos up later

No comments:

Post a Comment